Feeding America joins with National Dairy Council and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics to identify game-changing innovations in the field of nutrition and food security. With a commitment of $1.8M over two years, National Dairy Council will take a leadership role in bringing together this unique effort between three organizations to help to eliminate hunger and promote healthy food choices.
Recently, a great deal of national attention has been focused on the intersection of hunger and obesity in the United States. Many families are forced to make difficult choices between securing enough food and prioritizing healthier foods that nourish and promote good health.
These three organizations are uniquely qualified to join together to tackle this issue by aligning assets:
- National Dairy Council, supported today by more than 51,000 dairy farmers, has 100 years of experience in nutrition research and education, bringing a diverse group of stakeholders, including health and wellness experts, farmers and food companies to the table.
- The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics represents over 83,000 registered dietitians and is the largest organization of food and nutrition professionals in the world.
- Feeding America is the nation’s largest domestic hunger relief organization that works on the front line providing access to meals for 37M food insecure individuals each year.
This partnership encompasses the entire food cycle from production to distribution. All three organizations have established inroads into local communities (farmers, schools, registered dietitians, food banks) and will join forces to share expertise and resources, identify new ways of approaching food procurement, nutrition education and access, and will work to impact the way food insecure individuals nourish themselves and their families.
The investment by National Dairy Council in national nutrition and food security efforts will underwrite a broad, industry-wide plan of action to:
- Raise awareness of the overweight/undernourished paradox
- Increase access to nutrient rich foods for food insecure people
- Educate all stakeholders about strategies to reduce hunger and promote healthy food choices
Source: National Dairy Council